See the sights and learn something new
Lukas Kalbermatten has been giving guided tours exploring the village of Blatten and the cultural landscape of Kühmad for many years now. You can even combine these guided tours or storytelling evenings with an exquisite meal.
Snowshoe hike with fondue party (for groups of eight or more)
Explore the cultural landscape of the Lötschental valley in the winter by donning snowshoes and crossing the valley between Blatten and Kühmad. You may even be able to spot some chamois and ibexes along the way. In the rustic farming village of Kühmad, you will pay a visit to the pilgrimage chapel and learn about how cattle were still being taken care of here during the winter 50 years ago. Once you’re back in Blatten, you’ll be able to tuck into a delicious fondue in the toasty restaurant. A mountain guide must accompany groups on organised snowshoe tours.
- Fee for mountain guide: CHF 250.00
- Cost of snowshoe rental, guided tour and fondue party per person: CHF 46.00
Guided tour of the village
Explore the village of Blatten with Lukas Kalbermatten and learn more about the history, local tradition and architecture when you visit the sawmill, mill and textile mill complex and the village oven amongst other sights. We run this guided tour all year round and it lasts about an hour.
- Free guided tour every Monday at 5 p.m.
- Cost for groups: CHF 60.00
- The guided tour is free of charge for groups staying at the hotel or eating in the restaurant.
Blatten-Kühmad cultural landscape
The rustic farming village of Kühmad complete with pilgrimage chapel is symbolic of nomadic farming at the UNESCO World Heritage Site and deeply rooted faith in the Lötschental valley. This guided tour includes a visit to the village and the chapel, a roam around the wetlands and a walk along the pilgrim trail to Blatten. The easy walk lasts around 40 minutes and the tour group is on the move for two and a half hours in total.
- Cost for groups: CHF 100.00
- The guided tour costs CHF 40.00 for groups staying at the hotel or eating in the restaurant.
Guided tour with Valais-themed aperitif (for groups of eight or more)
White and red wine, juice, water, Swiss Hobelkäse hard cheese and rye bread will be served in the aperitif.
- Guided tour of the village with aperitif: CHF 26.00 per person
- Guided tour of the cultural landscape with aperitif: CHF 32.00 per person
Other guided walks, guided tours of other villages and storytelling evenings are also available on request.
Baking bread in the Blatten oven
Lukas Kalbermatten will guide you through the process of making your very own Valais rye bread – from the freshly prepared rye dough to the finished loaf. This makes for an interesting event for groups of between 6 and 15 people, including a guided tour of the village and an aperitif. All you need is five hours and a smile on your face – we’ll take care of the rest! You will be able to take some 40 loaves of rye bread away with you.
- You need to book this group activity at least two weeks in advance. Sessions available any day of the week except for Sundays.
- Cost for groups: CHF 700.00